Sports Awards 2019
The ANGUSalive Sports Awards celebrate the success and achievements of sporting individuals and teams across the Angus area - from athletes, players and coaches to volunteers and club personalities. Returning to Forfar Reid Hall for yet another year, this staple of the sports calendar in Angus is not one to be missed!
The nomination process for the ANGUSalive Sports Awards 2019 closed on Wednesday 8th January, with a fantastic 68 individuals, teams, and clubs nominated.
The independent selection panel convened on Thursday 16 January to decide the shortlist and winners for each of the nine award categories.
The list of the shortlisted nominees for the ANGUSalive Sports Awards 2019 are:
Club Volunteer of the Year Award - Sponsored by Voluntary Action Angus
This award aims to recognise an individual within any role who has made a positive impact within a specific club role in 2019.
* Derek Trail – Cricket/Football/Bowls - Brechin Buccaneers/ Forfarshire CCC
* Lesley Hadden – Swimming - Brechin Beavers Swimming Club
* Ewen Matthew – Golf - Kirriemuir Golf Club
Coach of the Year
This award aims to recognise the achievements and commitment of a sports coach throughout 2019; nominations for this award apply to coaches at all levels.
* Lorna Whike – Swimming - Arbroath St Thomas Swimming Club
* Niamh Donnelly – Athletics - Special Olympics Tayside
* Catriona McLean – Equestrian - Special Olympics Tayside
Outstanding Commitment Award - Sponsored by Dundee & Angus College
This award aims to recognise someone’s longevity in a role or number of roles within the sporting community, who has demonstrated an exceptional contribution over a number of years. Nominees must not be a performer/ competitor. Former winners of this award are not eligible for re-nomination.
* Dave McGregor – Jujitsu - Arbroath School of Martial Arts
* Grant Hutchison – Cricket/Table Tennis - Brechin Buccaneers/ Guthrie Park Table Tennis
* Ronald Milne – Running - Forfar Road Runners
School Sports Volunteer of the Year Award - Sponsored by Active Schools Angus
This award aims to recognise the above and beyond commitment made to extra-curricular sport across Angus schools.
* Becky Findlay – Running - Northmuir Primary School
* Beth Steele – Netball - Forfar Academy
* Lorna Valentine – Scottish Country Dancing - Arbroath Primary Schools
* Ian Lockhart – Various Sports – Monifieth HS
* Caroline Campbell – Rugby Union – Montrose PS & Academy
Sports Personality of the Year
This award aims to recognise the outstanding performance at a national level or above of an athlete during 2019 and has shown a high level of dedication and commitment.
* Chris Bonnar – Hockey – Grove Menzieshill Hockey Club
* Sophie Smith – Swimming – Arbroath St Thomas Swimming Club
* Sandy Mitchell – Motor Racing – Lamborghini Squadra Course/ Barwell Motorsport/ Wayne Taylor Racing
Sports Personality of the Year Award for People with a Disability - Sponsored by Angus Disability Sport and Special Olympics Tayside
This award aims to recognise an individual with a physical, sensory or learning disability who has shown a reasonable level of commitment and dedication towards sporting competition during 2019.
* Bill Fairweather – Golf - Special Olympics Tayside
* Ciara Roulston – Paratriathlon – Webester HS/ Triathlon Scotland Academy Squad
* Beth Grieg – Swimming – St Thomas Swimming Club
Young Sports Personality of the Year - Sponsored by Legend Club Management Systems
This award aims to recognise the outstanding performance at a national level or above of a junior athlete during 2019 and has shown a high level of dedication and commitment.
* Ben Hudson – Tennis
* Inca Maguire – Curling – Forfar Young Curlers
* James Craik – Curling – Team Whyte
* Rory Gifford – Dinghy Sailing – High School of Dundee
Club of the Year - Sponsored by Angus Community Sports Hubs
This award is open to clubs or groups at all levels within the sporting community and requires elements of achievement in competitions/leagues, areas of club development, successful funding applications and new projects during 2019.
* Brechin Buccanners
* Strathmore Cricket Club
* Abbey Bowling Club
Team of the Year - Sponsored by Brechin Community Sport Hubs/ Brechin Beavers Swimming Club
This award applies to a voluntary sports team taking part in a sporting discipline, individual sport or event where they have demonstrated success and development in their team performance during 2019.
* Montrose Girls U15’s – Football
* Strathmore Silverbacks – Rugby League
* St Thomas 2nd Division League – Swimming
All nominees, family, friends, club supporters are invited to join us for the awards ceremony on Friday 13 March 2020 at the Reid Hall, Forfar. The shortlisted finalist will receive one complimentary ticket to the evening.
Please join us in celebrating the achievements and efforts of the above nominees at a spectacular event. Early bird tickets priced at £20/person for the awards can be purchased online from Monday 13 January 2020 with full price tickets at £25/person on sale 28 January at https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/angusalive/t-vkldev
The evening includes a two-course dinner, evening entertainment and the awards ceremony. To be eligible for an ANGUSalive Sports Award the nominee must have involvement in a sport recognised by Sportscotland.