Sports Awards 2019
The ANGUSalive Sports Awards celebrate the success and achievements of sporting individuals and teams across the Angus area - from athletes, players and coaches to volunteers and club personalities. Returning to Forfar Reid Hall for yet another year, this staple of the sports calendar in Angus was an event not to be missed!
On Friday 13 March, the winners of our various sporting categories were announced at the Sports Award ceremony.
The nomination process for the ANGUSalive Sports Awards 2019 closed on Wednesday 8 January, with a fantastic 68 individuals, teams, and clubs nominated.
The independent selection panel convened on Thursday 16 January and decided the shortlist and winners for each of the nine award categories.
The list of the winners and highly commended individuals for the ANGUSalive Sports Awards 2019 are:
Club Volunteer of the Year Award - Sponsored by Voluntary Action Angus
This award recognised an individual who has made a positive impact within a specific club role in 2019.
* Ewen Matthew – Golf - Kirriemuir Golf Club
* Derek Trail – Cricket/Football/Bowls - Brechin Buccaneers/ Forfarshire CCC
* Lesley Hadden – Swimming - Brechin Beavers Swimming Club
Coach of the Year
This award recognised the achievements and commitment of a sports coach throughout 2019; nominations for this award applied to coaches at all levels.
* Niamh Donnelly – Athletics - Special Olympics Tayside
* Catriona McLean – Equestrian - Special Olympics Tayside
* Lorna Whike – Swimming - Arbroath St Thomas Swimming Club
Outstanding Commitment Award - Sponsored by Dundee & Angus College
This award recognised someone’s longevity in a role or number of roles within the sporting community, who demonstrated an exceptional contribution over a number of years. (Nominees must not be a performer/ competitor. Former winners of this award were not eligible for re-nomination.)
* Ronald Milne – Running - Forfar Road Runners
* Dave McGregor – Jujitsu - Arbroath School of Martial Arts
* Grant Hutchison – Cricket/Table Tennis - Brechin Buccaneers/ Guthrie Park Table Tennis
School Sports Volunteer of the Year - Sponsored by Active Schools Angus
This award recognised the above and beyond commitment made to extra-curricular sport across Angus schools.
* Beth Steele – Netball - Forfar Academy
* Becky Findlay – Running - Northmuir Primary School
* Lorna Valentine – Scottish Country Dancing - Arbroath Primary Schools
* Ian Lockhart – Various Sports – Monifieth HS
* Caroline Campbell – Rugby Union – Montrose PS & Academy
Sports Personality of the Year
This award recognised the outstanding performance at a national level or above of an athlete during 2019 who had shown a high level of dedication and commitment.
* Sandy Mitchell – Motor Racing – Lamborghini Squadra Course/ Barwell Motorsport/ Wayne Taylor Racing
* Chris Bonnar – Hockey – Grove Menzieshill Hockey Club
* Sophie Smith – Swimming – Arbroath St Thomas Swimming Club
Sports Personality of the Year Award for People with a Disability - Sponsored by Angus Disability Sport and Special Olympics Tayside
This award recognised an individual with a physical, sensory or learning disability who had shown a reasonable level of commitment and dedication towards sporting competition during 2019.
* Ciara Roulston – Paratriathlon – Webster HS/ Triathlon Scotland Academy Squad
* Bill Fairweather – Golf - Special Olympics Tayside
* Beth Grieg – Swimming – St Thomas Swimming Club
Young Sports Personality of the Year - Sponsored by Legend Club Management Systems
This award recognised the outstanding performance at a national level or above of a junior athlete during 2019 who had shown a high level of dedication and commitment.
* Ben Hudson – Tennis
* Inca Maguire – Curling – Forfar Young Curlers
* James Craik – Curling – Team Whyte
* Rory Gifford – Dinghy Sailing – High School of Dundee
Club of the Year - Sponsored by Angus Community Sports Hubs
This award was open to clubs or groups at all levels within the sporting community and required elements of achievement in competitions/leagues, areas of club development, successful funding applications and new projects during 2019.
* Strathmore Cricket Club
* Brechin Buccanners
* Abbey Bowling Club
Team of the Year - Sponsored by Brechin Community Sport Hubs/ Brechin Beavers Swimming Club
This award applied to a voluntary sports team taking part in a sporting discipline, individual sport or event where they had demonstrated success and development in their team performance during 2019.
* Montrose Girls U15’s – Football
* Strathmore Silverbacks – Rugby League
* St Thomas 2nd Division League – Swimming
All nominees, family, friends, club supporters were invited to join us for the awards ceremony on Friday 13 March 2020 at the Reid Hall, Forfar.
We celebrated the achievements and efforts of the winners and those who were highly commended at a spectacular event where the evening included a two-course dinner, evening entertainment and the awards ceremony.