Swimming has returned!
We are delighted to be able to offer lane swimming, family swim sessions, swimming lessons and junior coached sessions.
Bookings can be made by contacting your local sports centre
Please note that customers must book and pay for sessions prior to visiting the facility and must inform the sports centre of every participant that will attend. All participants must have a membership number.
At this time we are unable to provide floats and toys, however customers are welcome to bring along their own, or can purchase Zoggs products at reception.
We're sorry that we are unable to open our pools for all other activities at the moment but we continue to work with Scottish Swimming as well as other governing bodies to ensure we can reopen other pool activities safely.
For up to date info visit our COVID-19 page.
Learn to Swim
Swimming is an essential life skill for you or your child to learn, and ANGUSalive offer a diverse aquatic programme for children and adults, from ages +6mths. Our varied aquatic programme has an abundance of lessons from Pre School all the way to Adult Swimming and Water Polo. All of the swimming lesson programmes are included in our bACTIVE membership. If you would like to book your child or yourself into one of our lessons or if you would like more information on our aquatic programme please contact a sports centre and speak to one of our Swimming Coordinators.
Adult & Child and Pre-School Classes
Adult & Child | 6mths-4 years
The Adult & Child Swimming Programme has been designed for the parent to introduce very young children to the water environment in a structured and safe way.
- To introduce your child to water and the pool environment
- To provide the parent with the working knowledge of a range of skills, to handle their child in the water with confidence and safety
- To provide a stimulating and enjoyable programme, which is underpinned by the understanding of your child's development
Our adult & child classes are split into 3 ages:
Tadpoles 6mths-1.5 years
Frogs 1.5-2.5 years
Ducklings 2.5-4 years
Pre-School | 4-5 years
The Pre-School Programme has been designed to introduce young children to the acquatic environment. It's full of fun games and activities to help young participants to move freely and safely in the water whilst developing their swimming ability.
- To introduce a structured environment to assist learning and self-discovery
- To introduce the young child to water in a fun, safe and effective way
- To introduce supported entry and exits from the pool
- To develop the confidence of a young child in water
To book your child onto one of our Adult & Child or Pre-School classes, or if you would like more information, contact one of our Sports Centres today to speak to one of our Swimming Coordinators.
Learn to Swim Programme 5+ years
The Learn to Swim Programme has been designed to provide your child with the skills and techniques to be safe in an aquatic environment, on completion of the Learn to Swim programme your child will be capable of progressing into any of the aquatic disciplines: swimming, diving, water polo, artistic swimming and open water swimming.
The Learn to Swim programme follows an 8 level structure designed to guide your child through and develop the core aquatic skills to become a competent swimmer.
Your child will be continually assessed on their swimming ability throughout the programme and will be moved into the appropriate level at the end of each swimming block. After an initial assessment, children can be added to the waiting list at 4.5 years and enrolled at age 5 to start their swimming journey.
Level structure with aims
- Understand basic pool rules
- Walk in water with water at shoulder level
- Enter and exit the pool safely with assistance
- Float on front and back with an aid and assistance
- Get face wet without sebmerging
- Blow bubbles
- Regain feet from a floating position with an aid an assistance
- Kick on front and back with an aid
- Understand basic pool rules
- Pick up objects from the bottom of the pool in shallow water
- Enter and exit the pool safely without assistance
- Using a board or aid, float on back unassisted
- Bob up and down repeatedly, submerging body and blowing bubbles through the nose and mouth
- Roll 180 degrees from front to back then regain feet
- Kick on front and back with an aid, but unassisted
- From a standing position, perform a surface dive
- Safely enter the pool from a standing and sitting position
- Demonstrate a floating position on front and back then regain feet
- Push off the wall and glide on front and back then regain feet
- Demonstrate rotary breathing - show head turning to the side to breathe
- Rotate 360 degrees without touching the pool floor
- Demonstrate a freestyle arm action with a board for 5m
- Demonstrate a backstroke arm action with a board for 5 min
- Using an aid, tread water using a cycle kicking action and a breaststroke type leg action for 20 seconds
- Demonstrate a handstand from the bottom of the pool
- Demonstrate a sitting dive and glide
- From a floating position, swim through a submerged hoop
- Push and glide on front and back holding glide for 2 metres
- Swim 5 metres freestyle breathing to the side
- Swim 5 metres backstroke tummy up
- Swim 5 metres breaststroke arms
- Kick on front and back with board for 10 metres
- Demonstrate a forward somersault from a standing position
- Demonstrate a kneeling dive
- Demonstrate 3 different floating positions
- Demonstrate a good push off the wall on front and kick in a streamlined position
- Demonstrate understanding of bi-lateral breathing
- Swim 10 metres freestyle breathing to the side
- Swim 10 metres backstroke keeping head still
- Swim 10 metres on front showing breaststroke type actions
- Kick on front and back for 15 metres with no support
- Tread water for 30 seconds keeping the head clear of the water and then swim 15 metres
- Surface dive and retrieve an object from the pool floor in deep water
- Demonstrate a kneeling dive and swim out
- Demonstrate a good push off with streamlining, on front and back from a good starting position
- Using a pull buoy, scull 10 metres on front in a forward direction
- Swim 2 x 15 metres freestyle showing good technique and breathing without stopping
- Swim 2 x 15 metres backstroke showing good technique without stopping
- Using a kickboard, kick 2 x 15m breaststroke
- Kick 10 metres arms by side using a butterfly style undulating action
- Swim 4 x 10 metres each of freestyle and backstroke without stopping
- Demonstrate life jacket use/survival position i.e. HELP or huddle
- Demonstrate a front somersault from floating position
- Demonstrate a crouching dive
- Using a pull buoy, scull 15 metres on front, head first and feet first
- Swim 25 metres freestyle with good technique
- Swim 25 metres backstroke with good technique
- Swim 15 metres breaststroke with correct timing
- Attempt butterfly arms and legs together for 5 metres
- Tread water attempting eggbeater kick for 45 seconds then swim 25 metres
- Swim 50 metres using 2 different strokes holding good technique attempting turns without stopping
- Demonstrate a standing dive into deep water
- Demonstrate a good push, glide and streamline on front and back: hold and kick under water for 5m
- Using a pull buoy, scull 15m on front and back head first and feet first
- Swim 50m freestyle, 50m backstroke and 25m breaststroke demonstrating good rhythm and breathing
- Swim 10m using a butterfly action
- Using a kickboard, kick 4 x 25m freestyle and backstroke
- Pull 25m freestyle using a pull buoy
- Swim 100m using 2 different strokes holding good technique and turns without stopping
For more information, to arrange an assessment or to speak to one of our Swimming Coordinators contact one of our ANGUSalive sports centres.
Rookie Lifeguard & Lifeguard Training
Rookie Lifeguard Training
Royal Life Saving Society UK's (RLSS) Rookie Lifeguard programme give your child the skills they need to be confident in the pool or the sea- which means peace of mind for you. With colourful materials and fun, varied activities, the Rookie Lifeguard scheme teaches children how to swim and enjoy water safely, whether in shallow or deeper water.
For many of our Rookie Lifeguards, our programme offers the first opportunity to explore water safety, gradually gaining independence and confidence while learning vital life skills.
Our programme will inspire and embolden your child, helping them keep themselves, their friends and their family safe in the water through a range of fun activities that lead towards a series of awards.
Our Rookie Lifeguard programme is open to children who have completed Level 5 of our Learn to Swim programme. To book your child onto one of our Rookie Lifeguard classes or for more information contact one of our ANGUSalive sports centres today to speak to one of our Swimming Coordinators.
Are you interested in becoming a Life Guard? Some of our sites offer the internationally recognised Royal Life Saving Society (RLSS UK) National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ), please contact an ANGUSalive sports centre for further information.
Water polo is a competitive team sport that relies on the swimming skills your child has gained in our Learn to Swim Programme. The Water Polo programme at our ANGUSalive Swimming Pools will teach your child the necessary skills and techniques to play the fast-paced exciting game.
Water polo is available from +6years. To book your child onto our Water Polo programme or for more information, contact one of our ANGUSalive sports centres to speak to one of our Swimming Coordinators.
Adult Swimming Lessons
At ANGUSalive, we believe you are never too old to learn to swim. Our Adult Learn to Swim programme taught by our qualified swimming teachers is here to help you achieve your swimming goals. Whether you are a complete beginner or just looking to improve your technique, the Adult Learn to Swim programme is for you.
To book into one of our Adult Swimming classes or if you would like more information contact one of our ANGUSalive sports centres today to speak to one of our Swimming Coordinators.
Intensive Holiday Programme
During the school holidays ANGUSalive run an Intensive Swimming Lesson programme. This programme is designed to help your child develop their swimming skills throughout the school holidays and re-enforce the skills and techniques which have been taught during the term time lessons.
Intensive Swimming Lessons are available for Adult & Child, Pre-School, Learn to Swim, Rookie Lifeguard, Water Polo and we also run an Aqua Skills class focussing on the Core Aquatic Skills for swimming.
Booking details are available in our Holiday Programme or contact one of the ANGUSalive sports centres to speak to one of our Swimming Coordinators.
Certificates are a great way to track your child's progress through our swimming programmes. Certificates are available for purchase for our Adult & Child, Pre-School, Learn to Swim and Rookie Lifeguard Programmes. Swimming progress reports are also available for our Learn to Swim Programme.
Order your child's certificate now at your local ANGUSalive sports centre.